There are impressive battle scenes in this movie, and the costume design is excellent. Some of the cast perform very well, such as Sean Harris, Thomasin McKenzie, Joel Edgerton, and Thibault de Montalembert.
But the story is poorly written and it greatly changes history. The real events of this time period are much more interesting than those of the contrived and rather silly story of this movie.
1. They ignore the ten years between the Percy Rebellion and the death of King Henry IV. The king was just age 36 and not dying in 1403, he actually died in 1413. Henry "Hotspur" Percy, shown as a young guy about age 20 in the movie, was actually three years older than Henry IV.
2. They chose the wrong actor to play Henry V. He looks much younger than Henry was at Agincourt (Henry V was age 29 at the time). Henry was actually a typical Plantagenet, a tall, athletic, strong man, not adolescent-looking. He had a stronger personality, he was more charismatic and better able to inspire his men.
3. Henry V never killed Hotspur in single combat. Henry was just age 17 in 1403, while Hotspur was age 39, although they seem about the same age in the movie.
4. Henry was not as rebellious and as much a drunkard as shown in the movie. He was, like many of us a bit wild in his teens, but this was greatly exaggerated in the movie. Although he probably had disagreements with the king, I doubt as a devout Christian he truly hated his father, as shown in this movie.
5. Henry V never killed William Gascoigne, who died in 1419 at the age of 69. Gascoigne retired voluntarily several years before his death.
6. The English nobility and clergy are all portrayed as stupid, scheming and/or cowardly, while the drunkard Falstaff is portrayed as wise, honorable and brave. This is rather silly.
7. The Dauphin of France never came to meet Henry before the battle of Agincourt, nor did Henry go to the French camp to challenge the Dauphin to single combat. It would have been foolish for either to risk capture.
3 out of 5 found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.