Two estranged sisters, Emma and Lyn, return to their old neighborhood, Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, after the sudden death of their mother Vidalia ("Vida" for short). Upon their return, they are introduced to Vidalia's "roommate," Eddy. At the memorial service Emma feels distant and out of place, while Lyn is eager to reunite with her high school lover, Johnny. A young woman named Cruz shows up to express her condolences, which captures Emma's attention. Johnny reveals that Vida was actually married to Eddy, which infuriates Emma for reasons that are unknown to Lyn. To complicate matters further, Vida willed 30 percent of the ownership of their family-owned bar to Eddy and split the other 70 percent between Emma and Lyn. At a local restaurant, Emma tells Lyn that they need to sell the bar. The sisters run into Johnny's little sister Mari, which results in an argument. When the sisters return home and announce their plan, Eddy announces that she will never sell.