The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019– )
User ReviewsReview this title
The production looks gorgeous, the puppets look very much like the originals, but with much more diversity. The puppeteering has been brought to the next level, as the movements are a bit more realistic. Very well done!
But the most important aspect is of course always the story. In my opinion they have succeeded in making an interesting prequel, slowly progressing toward the situation at the beginning of the movie.
If you like the original movie, you will certainly love this series!
2) People talking about official lore and the changes that were made. Sometimes, lore needs to be modified. However, as I sit watching the last gut-wrenching episode, I find myself completely absorbed in the world and mythology of Thra. It took 2 episodes for me to fully acclimate to the story and get past the nostalgic rose colored glasses. It was a journey well fought. You can see 2 halves of a circle coming together to create a full and immersive story.
3) The voice work. The voice work is COMPLETELY stunning. Anyone who says otherwise is a troll. If I wasn't already a fan of these actors, I would be now and I will forever be in their debt for bringing their considerable talents to this enjoyable epic. Truly a Netflix masterpiece. Watch out Emmy season, The Dark Crystal is here.
4) To anyone that compares this to the modern day blockbusters like Harry Potter, go suck an egg. As a Potterhead, I appreciate it as much as the next person, but this movie in the 80s was unlike anything seen before it. This series is not like anything that's being seen now.
5) Somebody complained about the puppets being so old fashioned and not moving their mouths "properly". Umm, if you're complaining about it, you're not a fan. The puppets in the series were created in the images of Gen and Kira from the original movie. Is it Gen or Jen? I always thought Gen but whatever, no matter.
6) To anyone who brought politics into it, or feminism, or any other bs, can't a story just be a story? Leave politics at the door. This was the happiest (politics free) 10 hours of my week,
Basically, this series is amazing and I know a dozen people that I've introduced this series to that are already obsessed. I need a season 2. I need a season 2 immediately.
And don't trust a single review if they say they stopped halfway through the first episode... #Eyeroll. It took me an episode to get fully involved, and I'm a fan. If youcan't dedicate 50 minutes to figure out something, I pity your sad little world.
RIP the Gruenaks... Rest now, you superstars. Not all heroes wear capes.
BTW, am I the only one who though Rian + Brea = Kira? I actually was pulling for Rian and Deet because they were actually a better match but I'll take what I can get. HOWEVER. If Gen and Kira (Jen and Kira?) are brother/sister, I'mma riot.
And may we all find someone who looks at us the way Hup looks at Deet. #TruePalladin
I had no idea Netflix had this in production; coincidently I and my 9 year old daughter watched the film about 4 months ago. She loved the film and now loves the series. In her words "the effects make this look more real than the film".
We're both engrossed by the story and the production values are phenomenal. Netflix has produced something really special. To those who call this a rip off of LoTR/ Harry Potter - get an education! :p.
For all fantasy fans out there, watch it!
I do agree that some of the voices don't seem to sit right for whatever reason, but then some are absolutely spot on, Aughra in particular.
I really don't get how anyone can give it 1/10; even if you didn't like it, it deserves more than that for the technical aspects alone; the world that they've (re)created is amazing. As for complaints about the puppets, if they'd been any more realistic it would have been harder to see the link between this and the film.
Personally I loved it, though it did take a few episodes for me to really get into it.