Midnight Special (2016)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 17 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for some violence and action|
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- The film contains a few scenes of violence involving gunfire exchanges where no details of injury are depicted.
- Another scene briefly depicts a police officer getting shot, but without any details or bloodletting.
- A child suffers from the use and intensity of his powers (he emits cries of pain; others talk of him growing weaker and their fear of him dying; in one scene we see him gasping for air; at one point his ears and nose bleed; one time he bends over, possibly trying to breath or throwing up (the scene is dark).
- A woman's head is bashed against a wall (no serious injury depicted).
- A vehicle crashes through a roadblock.
- A child is violently torn from an adult's arms at gunpoint.
- We see one character with a large dark blood spot on his shirt. A wound is bandaged (no closeups).
- A vehicle flips and rolls violently.
- A character is hit in the head with a lamp (no serious injury depicted).
- Flaming debris falls from the sky, resulting in serious mayhem and risk of injury/death (none depicted onscreen).
- One abuse of Jesus' name, one use of a--hole, one use of sh*t
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- 'Midnight Special' is a sci-fi film about a father who discovers his eight-year-old son possesses supernatural powers. The two have to go on a run to escape from various parties, including the Federal government, who chase after them in the film.
- The film contains some scenes where the child protagonist with special powers is seen emitting strong rays of light from his eyes.
Violence & Gore
- For example, in one scene, two men leaving a motel room get shot and injured before they are tied up. Their attackers then fire a few shots at the motel room before entering it.
- A character urges another character to shoot a police officer who is being held at gunpoint. As the characters argue, the officer, in fear for his life, attempts to draw his weapon and is shot. We never learn what happens to the officer.
- One character approaches another character carrying a handgun. The second character is frightened and pleads with the other not to "do it." The first character responds that the second "knew what he was doing and now knows where they are heading." The scene cuts away. (We later see the second character alive.)