Marley & Me (2008)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 21 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for thematic material, some suggestive content and language|
Sex & Nudity
- In the Irish room scene, Jenny says that a 50-year sex delay is "turning her on".
- There is one mention of the word "womb".
- The silhouette of an undressed teenage girl is seen through a plastic shower curtain but there is no actual nudity.
- There are two scenes where the married couple start having sex; one in a hotel room, but nothing is shown in either. In the latter scene, as the camera tilts up to the ceiling, rhythmically squeaking bed springs are heard.
- The main character and his boss discuss his attempt to get his wife pregnant. Sexual innuendos are passed back and forth in this scene, including the part where the boss asks if he "pulled the goalie", meaning he has stopped using condoms/birth control while having sex.
- Jenny calls John and says, "There's a naked woman in your bed," referring to herself (although we see she is fully clothed). His reply is, "Oh great. Well, why don't the two of you get started, and I'll be there shortly."
- There is a scene where the wife, with her back to the camera, takes off her dress and jumps into the pool. (You can almost see the side of her breasts, although nothing is actually shown.)
- A baby's penis is briefly seen.
- Marley is seen repeatedly humping people and furniture (most notably, the obedience school trainer). We are also told he humped dog on his walks. (During the credits a short clip is shown during which Marley is humping a sofa and his penis is visible coming out of its sheath).
- After having two babies, Jenny makes John promise that they won't have any more kids for a while. He promises. In the next scene, she is seen with another newborn baby at the hospital. When she introduces the baby to her father and brothers, one of the little boys says, "Daddy says her name is 'Whoops'!", meaning that her conception was an accident.
Violence & Gore
- When Marley bites a woman no blood is shown is mild
- A teenage girl screams from her driveway late at night. Someone stabbed her while she was standing at the side of her car, then ran away. She is trembling and crying pretty hard. John sits with her and keeps her as calm as possible until the police arrive. The scene is very brief and lasts for less than a minute. A bitter joke is made about this later, but is not meant to be funny.
- Use of son of a b*
- 1 use of shit, 2 uses of "son of a bitch", 2 uses of ass, 1 use of bastard, 1 use of damn, 5 uses of hell, 6 uses of crap, 1 use of piss, 2 uses of "friggin", 8 uses of "God", 6 of "Oh My God", 3 of "Oh God", 1 of "My God", and 1 of "Jesus", a couple slangs terms were also used: boobs, balls. Quite a bit of profanity for a PG movie.
- A couple of uses of shit
- One slang term, balls.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- During his job interview, John states, "10 years ago I was doing bong hits and playing Donkey Kong."
- John and Jen occasionally drink wine.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Although this movie is rated PG, its content is pretty heavy. A lot of people say it should've been rated PG-13.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Marley gets very sick near the end of the movie and is eventually put to sleep. The movie ends with the husband looking back on his memory. He is buried in the family's backyard, and the kids and parents are visibly upset. Many audiences will cry, particularly those who have dogs and/or have ever lost one. This is a VERY intense scene and is hard to watch.
- When John and Jenny are expecting their first child, it ends with a miscarriage. They are both distraught by this, although they end up getting pregnant again pretty quickly.