Max Payne, a cop in the NYPD, returns home one day to find his wife and baby daughter murdered at the hands of drug addicts, high on a designer drug called Valkyr. After 3 years of working on the case, Max and his best friend Alex go undercover to bust a V-deal. However, things go wrong: Alex is suddenly killed, and Max is framed for his murder. Hunted by the cops and driven by determination to avenge his family, Max Payne sets out to uncover the truths behind his family's murder.
New York. Fugitive undercover cop. Nothing to lose.
See more »
23 July 2001 (USA)
See more »
See more on IMDbPro »
See full technical specs
Did You Know?
In an episode of The Sopranos (1999), "Calling All Cars" (S.4,E.11), Bobby Jr can be seen playing Max Payne (2001). Janice is talking to Bobby Jr through the computer, her user name is Vlad666. A reference to the in game character Vladimir and the devil (666), who is mentioned throughout the game. Additionally, through Janices messages, she directs Bobby Jr to an ouija board. An ouija board is also mentioned in Max Payne. See more
A .50 AE caliber Desert Eagle holds 8 rounds (7 in the magazine 1 in the chamber), not 12. See more
She was a nice girl, not really a stone-cold killer, and now she was stone-cold dead.
After the credits, when you complete the game, the following text appears on the screen: Max Payne has only started his journey through the night. The pain has only just begun. More will follow. See more
Aside from the controls, the PlayStation 2 version alternates from the PC version.
- There are no quick saves on PS2 and the chapters are divided into several sub-chapters with different names for each.
- The World Trade Center towers are also removed from the intro on PS2 and the graphic novel panel showing them at the beginning of the chapter "Backstabbing Bastard" is replaced with a different image.
- The Roman numerals for the "Part" description of the loading screens were replaced with just normal numbers.
- The graphic novel scenes use a different font than PC.
- An additional credits movie was added with new music in the main menu. The PS4 release also adds 1080p support and trophies.
References Reservoir Dogs